Sunday 3 October 2010

Review - Clockwork Angel

Magic is dangerous—but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: Jem, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa.

As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.




Review
The Clockwork Angel is the first book in the infernal devices trilogy. Being a prequel to the Mortal instruments my expectations were high. And I am very thrilled to say they were met.

The story begins with our protagonist Tessa Gray arriving in England to find her normally intoxicated brother Nate, but instead gets kidnapped by two creepy old women called the Dark sisters. She gets rescued by Will/ Jace Herondale and the story kicks in.

Fans of the Cassandra Clare will not be disappointed by Clockwork Angel; it provides a solid plot with really unexpected twists, which I’d advice reading in private as you may or may not get funny looks when you exasperate on the bus home. This book seriously sucks you in.

My main pet peeve in this book was Will. When I first met him I thought, what a nice young lad, he’d treat Tessa well. And then twenty pages later every time I saw his name it annoyed me, I don’t know if that was the intended effect and Cassandra was ingeniously infuriating me, but I think what added to my dislike for Will was that in my opinion he was Jace with an English accent (Character From her Mortal Instruments series), I know he’s his great great granddad and you may inherit some traits, but not an entire personality!


There were developments of a love triangle between Bad boy Jace I mean Will and nice guy Jem, but to me I felt the scenes between Tessa and Jem were forced and the real passion was between Tessa and Will.

Fans of Magnus Bane should lower their expectations, as I was disappointed by his lack of wit but Cassandra Clare justified that by reminding us that Magnus is a Character and not a punch line which is fair enough.

All in all Clockwork Angel was a highly entertaining read which pushed me through both ends of the spectrum. It had a nice steam punk element added to the shadowhunter world which gave things an eerie twist. I shall definitely be Looking forward to Clockwork Prince.
I'll give it Four out of five

No comments:

Post a Comment